The VNA of Care England is hosting several public influenza (flu) clinics throughout Rhode Island during the months of October and November.
Influenza (flu) is a contagious respiratory illness caused by influenza viruses. It can cause mild to severe illness. Serious outcomes of flu infection can result in hospitalization or death. Some people, such as older people, young children, and people with certain health conditionsare at high risk for serious flu complications. The best way to prevent the flu is by getting vaccinated each year, and is recommended for everyone six months of age and older by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
The VNA of Care New England is one of the largest providers of flu vaccines in the state, with registered nurses administering the vaccines.
"Our nurses have years of experience providing flu shots and convenient clinic locations are scheduled with area residents in mind," says Paula Foster, RN, Infection Control/Occupational Health Specialist at the VNA of Care New England. "Even healthy people can get sick enough with the flu, to be hospitalized. Receiving the flu vaccine is the best way to keep you and the people around you healthy."
VNA flu clinics will be held at various locations listed below:
- Chepachet, RI, Glocester Senior Center, 1210 Putnam Pike, 10/1. 9 a.m. – 12 p.m.
- Coventry, RI, St. John & Paul Church, 341 South Main Street, 10/1, 6 p.m. – 7p.m.; 10/2, 8 a.m. – 1 p.m.; 11/12, 10 a.m. – 2 p.m.; 11/13, 8 a.m. – 12 p.m.
- Coventry, RI, Coventry Senior Center, 50 Wood Street, 10/24, 9:00 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.
- East Greenwich, RI, Swift Gym Community Center, 121 Pierce Street., 10/7, 1 p.m. – 4 p.m.
- Lincoln, RI, St. Jude Church, 301 Front Street, 10/9, 8:45 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
- North Kingstown, RI, North Kingstown Senior Center, 10 Beach Street, 10/9, 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
Stony Lane Baptist Church, 921 Old Baptist Road, 10/2, 12 p.m. – 1 p.m.
- Smithfield, RI, Smithfield Senior Center, 1 William J. Hawkins Jr. Trail, 10/11, 10:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
- Warwick, RI, VNA of Care New England, 51 Health Lane,10/1, 10/2, 10/8, 10/9, 10/15, 10/16, 10/22, 10/23, 10/29, 10/30, 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
Buttonwoods Community Center, 3027 West Shore Road, 10/19, 3 p.m. – 5 p.m.
Central RI Chamber of Commerce, 3288 Post Road, 10/2, 11 a.m. – 1 p.m.
St. Gregory the Great Church, 360 Cowesett Road, 10/2, 8 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
VNA of Care New England accepts most insurances. For more information, please visit www.vnacarenewengland.org/flu