About Us  |  Contact Us  |  Español
VNA of Care New England
VNA of Care New England

FDA Warns of Fires From Some Cryogenic Wart Removers

Don't use flammable products near candles, hair appliances, agency says
THURSDAY, Jan. 16, 2014 (HealthDay News) -- Flammable over-the-counter wart removers have started fires, injuring at least 10 people in recent years, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration says.
Since 2009, the FDA has received 14 reports about some cryogenic wart removers. In several cases, combustion occurred when the products -- a mixture of liquid dimethyl ether and propane -- were used near a candle.
Ten people have suffered singed hair, blisters, burns or skin redness, the agency said. In three of the reports to the FDA, there was a candle nearby. But no ignition source was identified in the other 11 reports. In the incidents reported to the FDA, the wart remover dispenser generally caught fire when it was releasing the mixture.
Device-related problems should be reported through the FDA's MedWatch alert system (http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm ).
Full Article (http://consumer.healthday.com/public-health-information-30/food-and-drug-administration-news-315/fda-warns-of-fires-from-wart-removers-683937.html )More Information (http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm381429.htm )
Health Headlines
Blood Test Might Help Predict Survival With Lou Gehrig's DiseaseView in a lightbox
Health Tip: Soothing Bug BitesView in a lightbox
Health Tip: Working Out at WorkView in a lightbox
MERS Virus Found in Air in Camel BarnView in a lightbox
Parents of Children With Autism Need Help, TooView in a lightbox
VNA of Care New England
© 2011 Site Index | Disclaimer | Legal Notices